.
.

Proposal to add 2 floors to Hanover Place Wesleyan Chapel

.

History of the Buildingroad

.

Hanover Place Wesleyan Chapel opened for public worship on Friday the 13th August 1847. It was described by the Leeds Intelligencer as “a neat looking edifice, built of redbrick and stone, from a design by Mr James Simpson, architect, of Trafalgar Street.” It contained seating for 1100 persons, and cost £3,500.

In the second half of the 20th century, the building was acquired by the council and allowed to fall into disrepair. In 1980, the council demolished the top storey of the building. They were accused by Ken Powell of the Victorian Society in Leeds of having broken the law, as they had failed to obtain planning permission prior to carrying out the demolition. A few years later, the ground floor was restored at public expense.

Currently the building is owned by the Ahlul Bayt Islamic Centre. It is they who have submitted a planning application to add two additional floors to the building and 10 student flats.

James Simpson, the architectroad

By the time he designed Hanover Place Wesleyan Chapel, James Simpson (1791-1864) had become one of the leading non-conformist architects in the north of England. Chapels by him in the classical style were erected in Barnsley, Bradford, Burnley, Derby, Hull, Keighley, Morley, Newark, Oldham, Rawtenstall, Ripon, Scarborough and Warrington. The most notable of his few Gothic chapels was the demolished Rowlands Methodist Chapel at Summerseat, Bury, Lancashire (1845-7).

In addition to Hanover Place Wesleyan Chapel, Simpson was responsible for a number of other Grade II listed buildings:

    1. St. Peter’s Street Wesleyan Chapel (1834)

 

    1. Oxford Place Wesleyan Chapel (1835)

 

    1. Lady Lane Wesleyan Methodist Association Chapel (1840)

 

    1. Headingley Wesleyan Chapel (1844-5)

 

    1. Morley Central Methodist Church (1862)

 

    Century Methodist Chapel, St. Saviourgate, York (1839-1840)

The Proposalroad

.

HS a

Planning application 13/01607/FU is to add first and second floors to provide 10 student flats and accommodation for a caretaker.

Leave a Reply